Overview of Sources for Travis Scott's Astroworld Apology

 Travis Scott says he didn't know Astroworld fans were in trouble in new  interview | WGN-TV

Astroworld 2021 occurred a little over a month ago. It is a very recent event, which is why there aren't many scholarly articles and/or journals analyzing what Travis Scott should do in order to take accountability and show respect to those who were affected by the tragic outcome of the music festival.

Many of the attendees were teenagers and young adults, so most of the primary accounts of the events that took place in early November were posted to and discussed on social media platforms such as Twitter and TikTok. Therefore, I used a couple of TikTok videos as sources in describing what took place at the festival. I referenced videos in which people are begging Travis and his team to stop the concert and one in which someone who was in attendance describes what she witnessed in terms of security and the people passing out in the crowd.

Because most of the details and backlash were being spread on social media, Travis Scott also posted his "apology" video on his social media accounts. I decided to use this as a source too, specifically in order to describe what he detailed in that apology and to critique what he said in that apology.

Image

Furthermore, I used a Twitter statement from the Houston Police Department to support my argument that Travis Scott was aware of potential incidents at Astroworld and was warned about his tweets encouraging dangerous behavior.

Although there were no scholarly articles talking about Astroworld specifically, I turned to an article from Frontiers in Psychology that describes what makes a more effective apology. I used this article to support my suggestions as to how Travis Scott should apologize, including restitutions.

Ultimately, writing this essay was very different from previous essays since most of my sources were posts on social media due to the demographic of the people in attendance, but overall, I was able to find good sources to support my argument.

Comments

  1. I love your hyperlinks! This topic is really interesting.
    ---Sam Zhang

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Retrospective

Were the 1992 Los Angeles Riots Effective?

The 1992 Los Angeles Riots